WHAT IT IS
1. Podcasting got its name from “iPod” and “Broadcasting”.
2. It’s an audio and/or video recording made available on the internet
3. Has to have some mechanism of subscribing exists so that new ‘episodes’ can be automatically downloaded or the user automatically notified.
4. Been around for more than a decade.
5. became a buzzword after the huge success of the podcast “SERIAL” – 90 Million people downloaded saran Koenig’s serial murder mystery show over her 12 episodes last year.
WHAT IT IS NOT
A podcast is not a place to complain about your issues with your city councilman or local cable company and their lack of customer service (that’s Twitter and the Uncle Henry Show).
A podcast is not a place where you can put photos of your cute little niece Gertrude (that’s Facebook).
A podcast is not a place to teach people how to put IKEA furniture together, although with some wit, that could be a highly ironic and funny podcast to listen to (that’s YouTube).